Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

2013 Resolutions Bunch #2: Community

Community: family, friends, colleagues, Small to large, overlapping.


Community is one area I want to really improve upon this year. In 2012 I realized I am an introvert, not really news to me but I am processing that as a personality characteristic in a different way than I used to.

In the last few years, I have noticed that my own step into "mid-life" status as a women without husband, partner or kids has affected my interaction with others. I've also noticed that the lack of friendly social interaction in my department (which is not about me, but changes in the department overall). The outcome is that I am required to put more effort and more reach into meeting people, making and keeping connections, and simply getting connected.

Of course, the first and most important circle is family and close friends. In a world full of facile global interaction, this is harder than it seems -- and easier.

This also works by focusing on what I enjoy and connecting with people who also enjoy it. Oh, and getting out of the house.

So, resolutions:
  1. being more mindful of my close family and friends, contributing more to those relationships.
  2. putting in more regular time (back to "resources") on relationships, whether personal or professional.
  3. developing two new circles of outreach and connection,
  4. one of which comes out of spending more time on a hobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.