Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

William Morris Experiment and Cleaning






 
I am truly amazed. Right now my home is cleaner and more organized than it has been since, well, October 2010. That was when I really started the process of applying Morris's statement to my home in practice rather than theory.
  1. I started separating out those items I no longer used or needed.
  2. I started donating loads of clothing, kitchen items, and household goods to Goodwill once a month.
  3. I started selling electronics on Amazon, alongside the books I already had listed.
  4. I started turning my better clothing rejects into cash locally and on eBay.
  5. I culled my huge collection of books, DVDs, CDs, and cassette tapes for donations and resale locally and on Amazon.
  6. I shredded piles of papers, tossed piles of old magazines, and bought a hand scanner to scan receipts and bills.
  7. I gave away and sold furniture on Craigslist.
  8. I gave furniture and appliances to friends.
  9. I eliminated duplicates in the kitchen, closet, and bookshelf.
  10. I bought a better vacuum, a better coffeemaker, a better bedside lamp/alarm, a better printer... and then got rid of the old, unsatisfying ones by selling, gifting, or donating.
  11. I improved my personal style by applying the Express Checkout Experiment.
  12. I improved my home with the William Morris Experiment.
  13. I improved my budget and my diet with the monthly Pantry Challenge. 
All this in eighteen months, even without any kind of master plan.

My home is cleaner in large part because I reduced clutter, meaning less "stuff" to keep clean or to clean around. The open space make me feel better, calmer and more relaxed at home. My bedroom is now a quiet, cool place to sleep or read. My bathroom is bright and cheerful with organized cabinets. My closets and cupboards are well organized and easy to use, where stored items are necessary and available. My dining room has space to have a few friends for dinner or a small group for a party. My kitchen is easy to work in and to keep clean, despite daily use. My living room is cool and clear, good for reading, listening to music, or watching TV.

What still needs work? The back patio. The car. The files on my laptop. The study. But somehow all those problem areas feel more manageable because everything else is so simplified and beautiful.

By October 2012, I hope to have these last pieces of the puzzle settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.