Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

If I were in Paris... Friday, January 20, 2012

I would definitely head over to the Palais du Luxembourg and see the exhibition on Cezanne et Paris, an exhibition of over 80 works by the master painter. My favorite, of course, are the apples, pears, oranges and other still life paintings, but I like a good Cezanne on any day.



Afterward, weather permitting, a nice stroll through the gardens would be wonderful. I would suggest a visit to the small but delightful Musee Zadkine, but it is closed for renovations.

It might be even better to stroll over to Bon Marche and window shop, but the area of the 6th arrondissement near les Jardins du Luxembourg is rich in shopping, street sights, churches, and certainly cafes. One can walk in any direction and find entertainment. I particularly advise a walk down Rue de Rennes. You can visit the chocolate shop of Jean-Charles Rochoux, as I did.

I would also recommend a visit to St.-Sulpice, a church featured in The DaVinci Code, but more importantly featuring wonderful paintings by Delacroix. I also love Saint-Germain-des-Pres, an abbey and
square that form an early part of the history of medieval Paris. Best of all, Saint-Germain is nearly next door to Cafe de Flore and Les Deux Magots, two of my favorite cafes and the center of existentialist Paris. Pricy, but no better sightseeing of Parisians than here.

As you walk through this are, keep an eye out for the many statues, monuments, and rememberances of Paris history. In America, we're not used to have two millenia of history documented everywhere around us, but Parisians pass these everyday, monuments that form a rich history and certainly part of their self-possession. Like this one of revolutionary figure Danton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.