Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Finally!

The week the HUGE student-oriented project I have mentioned on and off for about four months will FINALLY start!


In the next two weeks, 7 original full-length plays, written by my students, will be rehearsed for performance as staged readings between 3.1 and 3.11.
  • 3 of them will be directed by popular local directors, including the artistic director/founder of a key women's theatre
  • 1 will be directed by a faculty colleague
  • 3 will be directed by students, including two fabulous junior women!
  • guest actors including 2 faculty colleagues, 2 grad students, and 2 local actors who are former students
  • 25 current students will cycle through acting roles in 7 plays, each appearing in 2 plays
  • 11 night or matinee performances
  • audience discussions with playwright, director, and actors after each performance
  • NO BUDGET for this, beyond the stipends to be paid to guests
This is more 4 more plays than I usually produce, but in staged readings rather than productions... NEVERTHELESS! 7 plays, 7 student writers, 7 directors, 6 guest actors, 7 stage managers, 25 student actors, 11 days of performance... am I crazy?


Anyone in Big D area--want free tickets?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! This is impressive. You will feel wiped out by the end of it all, but it is incredible to take this on and what a boost to the student playwrights!

    I have a Learning Community this semester with an Anthropology colleague and we have 16 students creating 2 cultures and collaborating on one novel. I thought I was crazy to attempt this, but this goal of yours is MORE ambitious.

    May it all go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I AM crazy! I love the idea of your Learning Community--sounds like a great interdisciplinary opportunity for your students. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.